This is part 1 of a 2-part series. As the summer race season winds down and you are kicking-up your feet for some well-deserved recovery time, don’t let your healthy habits slip away. Recall what your mother told you as a child – “mind your P’s & Q’s”. In nutrition terms, your P’s & Q’s are Portions & Quality.
- Balance your energy equation. Think of eating like a transaction – if you ‘overdraw’ today, ‘payback’ tomorrow by reducing your daily intake, but don’t skip meals.
- Don’t deprive yourself the fun stuff. Just don’t over-indulge, share it with a friend.
- Set boundaries to avoid over consuming – don’t eat from the container and sit-down for meals & snacks.
- Stop eating when you are full – the “Clean Your Plate Club” has disbanded!
This recipe is a favorite of mine, it is light & lean, easy to prepare, and quick to cook. You'll need an hour for the tenderloin to marinate, but just 15 minutes to grill to perfection.
Margarita Pork Tenderloin
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 green onion, minced
· 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
· 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
· 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
· 1 1/2 tablespoons tequila
· 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
· 2 (1-pound) pork tenderloins
1. Combine marinate ingredients (all except tenderloin) in a large re-sealable plastic freezer bag.
2. Cut pork diagonally into 1-inch-thick slices, and add to tequila mixture. Seal and chill 1 hour, turning occasionally.
3. Remove pork from marinade, discarding marinade.
4. Grill, covered with grill lid, over high heat (400° to 500°) 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until done.
5. Making additional marinade for basting or adding as a sauce
Recipe adapted from Southern Living Magazine. http://www.southernliving.com/food/