The following is an easy recipe using ingredients that are beneficial to your immune system and should found in that prime real estate of your refrigerator (slaw/veggies, pico/salsa, low-fat dairy).
Easy, Healthy Fish Tacos
· 12-16 oz. fresh tilapia filets*
· 2 tsp. olive oil
· salt and pepper, to taste
· 1 tsp. ground cumin
· 1 lime
· 8-10 corn tortillas
· shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw
· pico de gallo
· shredded cheese
· Honey Lime Cream (see recipe below)
1. Heat non-stick skillet or griddle over medium-low to medium heat.
2. Drizzle tilapia with half the oil, then sprinkle with cumin, salt, and pepper. Place in pan, dressed side down. Repeat oil, cumin, salt, and pepper on exposed side.
3.Cook for approximately four minutes per side, or until firm and cooked through, but still flaky. During last minute of cooking on second side, squeeze juice from one lime directly on fish
4. Layer fish and other toppings, as desired, in a corn tortilla.
* Chicken can be used in substitution for fish.
**protein can be seasoned and/or cooked 1-2 days in advance. Simply reheat and assemble tacos in just 15 minutes.
Honey Lime Cream
· 1 c Greek style yogurt
· 2 Tbsp honey
· Zest of 1 lime
· Juice of ½ lime
Stir ingredients together, until well combined. This is a great condiment to cut the heat of spicy dishes, without compromising flavor. Also yummy as a fruit dip.