The outdoor road season has finally arrived! Now that you've moved your ride outside, make sure you maintain your focus on safety! First a review…
2. Obey Road Signs
3. Head UP!
4. Communication is Key!
5. Ride Predictably And now for part two…
6. Respect Traffic
- This includes all road signs and rules of the road
- Ride single file (riding 4 or 5 across the lane upsets drivers in cars!)
- Stay close to the right at all times
- Keep groups small, 10-15 at most
- Divide larger groups into two or three smaller chunks (makes it easier for cars to pass)
7. VQ Certification
- 90 minutes to teach turning, getting in/out of pedals, bike safety, road safety
8. Stay within Limits
- Bad decisions come from pushing limits too far (no oxygen to the brain!) and lead to dangerous situations
- There will be plenty of time to push yourself hard later when you’re more comfortable
9. LSAP (Protocol for Group Rides)
- When pulling off the front:
- a) Look: all clear? no cars?
- b) Signal: hand, elbow, even a verbal “pulling off”
- c) Accelerate: ensures no overlap crashes
- d) Pull Off: safely! 10. Safe Stops
- Not in the middle of the road
- Not on the right, next to the road
- Get WAY off
- Space should be large enough to accommodate entire group
Remember: You’ll enjoy yourself more if you know how to ride safely and predictably!