Try this recipe after your Saturday morning intensity ride this weekend. It includes both cherries, which are loaded with valuable vitamins & antioxidants and potatoes, which are excellent sources of carbohydrates, potassium, and fiber. Homefries can be a healthy addition to a recovery meal - such as scrambled eggs loaded wilted spinach, sundried tomatoes and a bit of goat cheese with a side of Cherry Homefries.
- 5 medium waxy potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp crushed red chilies (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sauté the onions and cherries over low-medium heatfor 15 minutes or until the onions become a deep brown (but not burnt).
2. At the same time as the onions are cooking, boil the potatoes in salted water until fork tender.
3. Add the potatoes to the skillet with the onions. Sauté for 5 minutes on high to crisp up the potatoes.
4. Season with salt, pepper, and chilies, to taste.